Tuesday, January 24, 2012

In this essay, I am trying to work on:
  • not misspelling words
  • appropriate punctuation
  • keep paragraphs organized




Walk On;
Walking On From Old Things, and Walking On To New
An Essay by Harry Staley
9th Grade English
Pine Point School
October 24, 2011

             Have you ever had to, “walk on”, from something you really love? Have you ever had to leave a home you lived in for a very long time, and didn’t see the good in doing it? Mama, from A Raisin in the Sun, helped me realize that if you have to do something you don’t want to do at first, you will probably find the good in it after time. When I was seven, I had to leave my house and move to mystic, where I didn’t know one person, but I found the good in it after a while. No matter how much you might not want to, “walk on”, from something, you should see if you could see yourself finding the good in it.

When I was around six years old I was given the unfortunate news that I was going to be moving. I loved living in Stamford, but I had to, “leave it all behind”, like Mama had to leave her house from A Raisin in the Sun. (Of course Mama lived in her house much longer than I lived in mine, but both of these homes meant something to us, our family, our friends.) (Asyndeton) Mama did say that, “good would come out of the move”, and that (precisely) (F.A.S.T.) happened. From the moment Mama found her soon to be house, she knew right away that good would come out of it, but I couldn’t find the good in the move until a long while later. After a long time, i realized that this move was very positive, and before long I (adored) (F.A.S.T.) my new house. (I had new friends, a new school, and a new life.) (Anaphora) Mama’s choice of “walking on” sure was a good one, and I think my parents’ choice of making my sister and I “walk on” was a great one too.

          When I was around ten years old, I had to “walk on” from having a family. One day, my sister and I were as happy as could be in our semi-new home, but all of a sudden, terrible news came upon us that the family was going to split. My sister and I were forced (to “walk on” to deal, to live differently,) (Asyndeton) and there was nothing we could do about it. Instead of playing the (victims) F.A.S.T., my sister and I tried to find the good in it, which took a very long time! (My sister and I decided that we needed to be strong and “walk on”, and live in the moment, and see where life would take us.) (Anaphora) When we said that, we both grew up and realized that life isn’t all fun and games. There will be some fun times, but there will be those bad times, and that was a perfect example of a “bad time”. Now almost ten years later my sister and I are both happy, and we are ready to (pursue) F.A.S.T. our lives.

               Did you ever have to “walk on” from something you didn’t want to “walk on” from? You can “walk on” from almost anything. I walked away from my house, and my family, which were both very tough things to “walk on” from but if you try hard you will see the good in it. Some things in life are very hard to “walk on” from, like a house or a family, but if you concentrate like Mama and me, you will find the good in it.
Self-assessment:
  • Some problems I am continuing to work on consist of putting commas in places not needed, and spelling things correctly.
  • One strong point I see in my writing is that I work on it all on my own and I used to have my mom or dad proofread it before I’d hand it in but this is all me.
  • One possible weak point I see in my writing is punctuation, specifically with commas.
  • B+

No comments:

Post a Comment